Over the last couple of years, online writing jobs in Kenya have become very popular and there are many good reasons because of this. Because of Covid, there was a huge increase in online marketing jobs which opened many opportunities for many Kenyans.
Additionally, the rise of the gig economy and the ever-increasing demand for high-quality content has also contributed to making online jobs in Kenya very popular.
Another issue that has contributed to the popularity of online writing jobs is the potential for growth and development coupled by the ability to make some good money which has made many Kenyans explore this career option
I believe the demand for online writing jobs in Kenya will continue to grow as the world continues to be more digital. In this blog post, I will be doing a couple of things: exploring the benefits of online writing jobs in Kenya, the different types of jobs that you can do and the skills that are needed for you to succeed in this competitive industry.
Specific Online Writing Jobs For Kenyans
Below are specific online writing jobs in Kenya that you can pursue and make good money
1. Content Writer Jobs
You can become a content writer where you write engaging and informative articles, write website content, do product descriptions and also social media posts for individuals and companies.
There are many jobs available for you as a content writer so it will not be hard for you to get projects that will make you good money.
2. Copywriter Jobs
The work of a copywriter is a specialized type of work where you write to persuade potential customers to buy goods and services for the company that you’ve been given to write for.
You will write sales material that will be used to promote products or services for the brand you are working on.
You will have to know how to craft a compelling ad copy, sales page, email campaign and other marketing material that will be used to drive up conversion rate conversion for the company you are working for.
3. Technical Writer Jobs
This is another niche that you can pursue as an online online content writer. With technical writing, you need to produce clear and concise documentation and instructions for technical subjects.
Such subjects this would include information such as software manuals, technical reports or user guides. You will be translating technical information into understandable content for a non-technical audience.
4. Ghostwriter Jobs
A ghost writer is someone who has been hired to write on behalf of someone else. This type of projects are for projects such as novels, biographies, books or even blog posts. You are supposed to capture the author’s voice and style while still maintaining confidentiality about their involvement.
5. Academic Writing Jobs
Academic writing is one area where some Kenyan writers have excelled in. As an academic writer you will spend a lot of time writing research papers and other scholarly content for students, researches and even educational institutions.
There has been a lot of issues concerning this niche and the ethics revolving around this type of work but to each his own.
A script writer is someone who write scripts for the various mediums including television shows, video games, movies or even podcast. You are supposed to write a compelling dialogue which engages the viewer or listener and also do vivid descriptions for visual storytelling.
7. Travel Writer
Do you love to travel? If you do you then you can share your experiences, insights and recommendations through travel guides, blog posts and articles. There are a lot of websites out there who are looking for writers to work with.
You’ll be required to describe destinations, give practical travel trips and inspire readers to explore new destinations.
8. SEO Writer
An SEO writer specializes in writing content that has been that has been optimized for search engines. Google is the dominant search engine and you need to know how to write content that Google will love.
You’ll have to know how to incorporate relevant keywords and follow SEO guidelines to improve the visibility and the rankings of the websites and web pages that you’ve been tasked to work on.
9. Social Media Writer
Last but not least you can also become a social media writer where you will write engaging and shareable content for platforms such as Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter. You will be required to create captions, posts and updates that is agreeable with a target market you’ve been asked to engage with.
Where To Get Online Writing Jobs In Kenya
Here are some specific websites where you can find online writing jobs or gigs:
- Upwork (www.upwork.com): Upwork is one of the most famous freelancing websites where you can find a wide range of writing jobs. Many companies and individuals post writing projects on this platform and freelancers writers like you can submit proposals to secure jobs.
- Freelancer (www.freelancer.com): This is another popular freelancing website that online writer can take advantage of. The site allows you to browse through the available projects and submit bids to compete for the work. You need to sign up
- Fiverr (www.fiverr.com): I have used this platform for many years to get people to do work for me. Fiverr is a platform where freelancers can offer their services at a fixed price. As a writer, you can post your services (called gigs), giving your writing specialties and potentially clients who are looking for specific writing services.
- ProBlogger Job Board (problogger.com/jobs): ProBlogger Job Board is another well established platform specifically dedicated to blogging and writing jobs. It has a range of opportunities that include blog writing, content creation and copywriting.
- Textbroker (www.textbroker.com): Textbroker is a content marketplace where writers can find paid writing assignments. Clients submit content orders, and writers can select the projects that match their expertise.
- Constant Content (www.constant-content.com): Constant Content is a platform that connects writers with clients who are looking for unique and custom-written content. Writers can submit their work and set their own prices.
- WriterAccess (www.writeraccess.com): WriterAccess is a content creation platform that offers writing gigs to freelancers. Writers can create a profile, showcase their expertise, and receive assignments from clients.
- Remote.co (remote.co/remote-jobs/writing): Remote.co is a job board specifically focused on remote work opportunities. It features writing jobs from various industries and allows you to filter the listings based on your preferences.
Benefits of online writing jobs
So, what are the benefits of online writing jobs? One of the things that you need to understand is that online writing jobs give you a high degree of flexibility which makes them very attractive for individuals who are looking for a convenient source of income
Here are other benefits of online writing jobs in Kenya:-
1. Remote Work
One of the beautiful things about online writing gigs is that the projects can be done remotely and the only requirement is that you have an internet connection so this means you can work in Nairobi, you can work in Mombasa and even in ushago!
This allows you to work comfortably in your home or any location of your choice. What this does is eliminate the need for you to commute and provides you the freedom to work anywhere you want in the world.
2. Flexible Working Hours
The next good thing about online writing jobs in Kenya is at you get to enjoy flexible working hours and this allows you to create your own schedules. This is a good thing by the way for those who like to work during specific times of the day.
The beauty of this is you don’t have a boss nagging and asking why you’re coming to work late. You set your own timings and your own schedule allowing you to accommodate any other needs within the day such as family responsibilities or even pursue additional education.
3. Freelancing Opportunities
Another good thing about online writing jobs is that the jobs are freelance so this allows you to also take on other projects and make more money. Freelancing also allows you to choose the clients that you want to work with giving you the ability to adjust your workload according to your personal preferences.
4. Variety of Writing Genres
There are many writing genres to choose from and some of these include blogging, content writing, copywriting, technical writing, academic writing and many many more. This diversity allows you as a writer to choose the different niches that you’re comfortable with and also allows you to expand your skills across different writing styles.
Skills Needed For Online Writers
One of the skills that you need to develop is effective communication. You need to have a good command of grammar, punctuation, spelling and sentence structures.
You need to be able to convey your ideas clearly and engage the reader (that you’re writing to) and that you should also your adapt your writing styles to suit different audiences and purposes.
To develop strong writing skills, aspiring online writers should:-
- Read extensively – You need to extensively read books, blogs, articles, newspapers to allow you as a writer expand your vocabulary and learn from other experience authors and writers.
- Practice writing regularly – You also need to regularly write to refine your skills. It also allows you to experiment with different genres and through these you will be able to receive feedback through which you will improve yourself.
- Take writing courses or workshops – You can also go to online platforms such as Udemy, Skillshare and sign up and take different courses that you teach you various aspects of writing that include grammar, storytelling and creative writing.
- Seek feedback – I would encourage you to join different writing communities which are quite many on Facebook and share some of the work you have done in the past. Allow your friends and peers to give you constructive criticism that will help you identify identify areas that you need to improve on
- Research Skills – What are the things that you realise very fast is that online writing in Kenya requires you to do extensive and thorough research so that you are able to gather accurate and reliable information. You should train yourself how to find credible sources and evaluate information that you gather for relevancy and accuracy.
A Kenyan born, Kenyan raised father of 4 wonderful kids residing in the leafy surbabs of Kiambu. I bring you content focused on Kenyan shopping issues. From electronics, vehicles and general questions about the economy, get enlightened and make informed decision. Read more about me here. Contact me here.